Hudson Library & Historical Society maintains an extensive local history collection, focusing primarily on Ohio, with particular emphasis on Hudson, Ohio, and Summit County. The local history collection includes:
The collection is available to the public during selected library hours. Please call (330) 653-6658 to inquire about hours. See the Historical Society’s policies and procedures [policies & procedures page] for more information about using the collection.
Hudson is part of the Connecticut Western Reserve, a 120 mile strip in the northeast corner of what is now the State of Ohio. Claimed by Connecticut until 1795, the land in this region was sold to potential pioneers by the Connecticut Land Company through a land lottery. David Hudson and five business partners—Birdsey and Nathaniel Norton, Theodore Parmelee, Stephen Baldwin, and Benjamin Oviatt—purchased land rights to the township designated Range 10, Town 4 in the Western Reserve.
When the pioneers came out to Hudson from New England, many brought a hatred of slavery with them. As Congregationalists, they abhorred the concept of owning another human being. Fugitive slaves found a safe if temporary haven in the town David Hudson founded in Ohio’s Western Reserve. The highly illegal activity that we call the Underground Railroad had to be conducted with absolute secrecy: thus we may never know the full extent of the town’s involvement. Hudson is fortunate to have many buildings still standing that have ties to the anti-slavery movement and in particular to the Underground Railroad.